Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Green, Yellow, Red

In my classroom, we do a temperature check.  Each morning they take out their journals and write about their temperature.  Their writings will often begin with...
"Today, I am a {green, yellow, or red} because..."
Green = I'm here and ready to learn.
Yellow = I'm here, but I'm not feeling so great (emotionally, physically, mentally, etc...).
Red = I'm here and I am not happy.  I'm not ready to learn.
This exercise gives me a great sense of what our atmosphere may be like for the day. 

So, what's your temperature?
If atmosphere is everything (chapter 3), then the answer to the above question is everything.  One of the ways I encourage the yellows and reds is by reminding them that they can always get to green.  It may take some work, but they have the power to get there.  Actually, God gives us all the power to change our atmosphere.  If my atmosphere is not reflective of the FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT (love, joy, peace, self control, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and goodness), God's given me the power/authority, through the Holy Spirit, to change it!

I love how Franklin states that God will not dwell where He is not welcome.  Have you rolled out the Welcome mat or has the python strangled the Holy Hospitality out of you?  Is there a demon on assignment to harass you...he names three: Tormenting or vexing, Deceiving spirits, and Territorial spirits?  Is it one or all?

Good news - they are already defeated!
15 [God] disarmed the principalities and powers that were ranged against us and made a bold display and public example of them, in triumphing over them in Him and in it [the cross].
Colossians 2:15 (AMP)


Don't allow your temperature to stay at a perpetual yellow / red status.  Ask God for the fruits of the spirit...you can have as much as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment